Saturday, January 10, 2015

Anticlimactic

Tried another  new vet yesterday, for Kansas' annual wellness exam. She isn't due for any vaccines until 2016, so I figured it was "safe" to take her to one of the regular area vets and get to know folks around here a little better, rather than going to the low-cost place where I took Airlie in October.She only needed a physical exam and a heartworm test. Plus, DH has been suggesting this vet for a while (he passes it daily on his drive to/from work), and I know I've seen their rates posted on their website before, and the prices were ok. I even had a $15 off "new client" coupon...

... I have two $20 off coupons for the other place.

I have mixed feelings. The clinic is an older one, been around a long time, and the two vets that operate it are both older and very experienced, but this seems to sometimes make them quick with their diagnoses and they sound a bit short or terse as a result). We got the woman, thankfully, though from what a coworker told me about the male vet who works there, an "old cowboy type", Kansas might have done ok with him. The reception staff was friendly and talkative, though they chided me about not filling out the paperwork online (I had already printed it off and filled it out when they called to "encourage" this), and I didn't arrive quite as early as they would have liked and I had intended (we were the only ones there. I guess we were holding up their lunch or something) but it didn't really feel warm or welcoming. More like "it's lunchtime on Friday and we're ready to go".

I brought all 11 years' worth of Kansas vet records with me, although I'd already provided the phone number of our former vet so they could call for her records when I requested my appointment. The appointment confirmation I received even confirmed that they had requested, and received, said information. But it wasn't until the poor vet tech was thumbing through all of my pages, and I was telling her the most recent info- last year's vaccinations, last year's eye surgery and the dental extraction from 18 months ago- were all in the back, that they remembered.

The vet tech was really good, although rather forgetful. Kansas seemed to warm to her right away, stepping right off the scale and approaching her expecting a treat afterward, ignoring the treats in my own hand... I guess after 11 years, she's finally learned the routine.

I told the vet tech that I wanted to talk about the growth on Kansas' eye, and the one on her back, which had begun oozing 3 weeks ago. I also mentioned we wanted a prescription for Revolution.

Kansas was her typical "talkative" self, barking at new voices/people, but not in an ugly way, she always rumbles and grumbles a lot, not growling, that's just how she "talks". Mom remarked at Thanksgiving that Jax doesn't do this.

It seemed to take an awful long time for just a wellness exam and heartworm test. I did tell the tech about the skin growth and Kansas' eye, but the vet was going to walk out without addressing either until I pointed them out and asked. She was quick to say (sparing a glance in the general direction) "That's just a sebaceous adenoma- they ooze like that." without really inspecting it closely. I guess she really didn't say anything that our vet in Houston hadn't said before, it just seemed  very brusque. I guess that's just personality and bedside manner...  and the usual "if it gets to the point where it is getting in the way or causing problems, we can take it off."

I reminded her about the chalazion (maybe when I used that term she finally started to take me seriously) and that it was returning periodically, she said it was probably because they didn't get all of it the first time and they could go in and just cut it out again. I don't really want to put Kansas through another surgery for that, though. So then she said "or just bring her in when it swells up again, and we can try to pop it..."

Well, Kansas has been doing that herself, so...

She didn't seem to know much about Missing Link, and implied that she didn't think it had sufficient glucosamine "If she doesn't seem to be doing well on it, we can give her something else", even though I think she's doing really well on ML.

They really did a good job of getting to know Kansas and handling her, but they did put the muzzle on for the blood draw, and it's a good thing they did, because she managed to jab Kansas on the first try. Possibly Kansas flinched or tried to pull away first, as she doesn't like that particular leg messed with, anyway. She pretty  much hates being on 3 legs any time, due to her tender hips, and expecting her to balance on them at home is a stretch as it is, and having her stand on 3 legs on a pad on top of a raised table with a pad on top of that was really pushing it. Not that they were aware of this. She seemed to have trouble finding the vein, and I thought it was weird that they actually lifted up Kansas' paw in order to insert the needle. Our old vet always did it with Kansas standing on all four feet, although I do think sometimes they had trouble finding the vein then, too.

Anyway, she yelped and then began struggling and growling, and all 3 of us were holding her, but we got it done and the vet was even brave enough to want to remove the muzzle and check Kansas' teeth after. Kansas seemed ok going right back to being friends and the vet gave her lots of compliments before she left, and even asked about the origin of her name and what cross of breeds she was. I didn't feel like she really wanted to listen to me talk about anything, much, but I guess it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Although, she actually asked "when was her last dental cleaning?" even though I had brought in all 11 year's worth of my own personal vet receipts and files, in addition to having the clinic call Houston for everything when I made the appointment. It's like she didn't even look at any of Kansas' info beforehand!

And I was going to ignore the repeatedly calling her a  "him" and a "handsome man" for the first five minutes...

She was going to order 6 months of Revolution for me to pick up on Tuesday, but I insisted on the prescription, since I didn't get paid today like I thought and am not prepared to pay for meds on Tuesday. I had the tech find out the cost ($100.75 fro 6 mo.)  which is about $15 more than Drs. Foster and Smith, where I usually get it. So I asked for a prescription. That was $8, which is normal (the "low cost" vet clinic charged $15 when I got a prescription from them with Airlie in Oct.) .

I dunno. Kansas seems fine, and seemed not to mind any of it, really. HW negative, as usual. 55.bs.

But the office visit was $60! I know they used to have their rates posted online (they don't, anymore) and it was $30 0r $35. Plus the HW test and prescription fee. Oh, and the stupid "waste disposal" fee for the needle. $4. Even after my $15 new customer discount, the bill was still $88! and I didn't feel like they looked at her hard enough for $60!

I wish I'd taken her to the low cost place, instead. I'd have spent $30 for the HW test, $25 for a wellness exam, $15 for the prescription and I have a $20 coupon for that one (it arrived in the mail AFTER we'd taken Airlie. Actually, I have two of them...) I'd have gotten out DH for under $60 and could have used my own money instead of the check I wisely had DH sign and send with  me. But the low cost place is "by appointment only" for the winter. They're closed during the week, "by appointment only" and only on  Fridays, and I think they're open Saturdays, or some Saturdays... anyway.I could have gone that route, but the idea was to see someone a bit more thorough.

If that was thorough, I was better off at the low cost place...

I guess we should take Leo to the low cost place in May, then, being as I have the $20 coupon...

Also, I've been back on the internet specifically looking up "sebaceous adenoma" and holistic treatment and, ding ding ding! I'm right. That and the thing on her eye are basically the same, and the mint tea bag hot compresses I've been using ARE doing something more than "just reducing the inflammation" like the vet insisted. Treatment for the same thing in people (like what repeatedly grows on my Nana's face...) involves peppermint oil, lemon oil, or even the apple cider vinegar I've already been using.
I'd actually really like to locate the stuff mentioned in this article, but so far, my search results have only resulted in several different prices for the same size bottle ($22- $38), and one reasonable $11 bottle, which is out of stock, and others that must be shipped from overseas.

Unfortunately, I'm out of both peppermint and lemon oil and I no longer live literally "right around the corner" from TWO places that sell the brand I prefer. I can drive all the way to Sprouts and get some (a different brand that costs the same for half the amount, and a six mile drive each way that somehow takes an hour round trip...) and this irks me. I can order it from Amazon, which will take a week to get here. I might do that. Sprouts, at least, is having a 25% off sale through the 14th... If the pool had only paid me yesterday like they should have, I wouldn't be sitting here debating whether to mail the bill I had intended to mail, or to go to Sprouts, because if I go to Sprouts, Hobby Lobby is right next door and there are some things there that I need to finish a project and I've been putting off making the drive to get them. 

It's not like waiting another week is going to hurt her. The sale ends the 14th.

Decisions, decisions.

HW negative and weighing in at 55lbs.

No comments: