Well, Kansas' appointment this morning went well... except when it didn't. She was really good for the new vet, whom I enjoyed meeting and approve of (and am taking Airlie back to see on Tuesday). Kansas was friendly and cooperative, and everything went fine, only...
... they "didn't have any availability" as far as doing her procedure today, because they had so many other clients trying to get surgical procedures done before the holiday weekend.
It made sense... at first...
Then again, I called on MONDAY afternoon. I spoke with someone who gave me a quote for the office visit PLUS the surgical procedure, and when I scheduled the appointment, it was with the understanding that both would be done TODAY.
I called well in advance. I explained the situation. I shouldn't have to show up, and only receive and be charged for an "office visit" and have to schedule a whole other appointment (no availability till NEXT Thursday) to get this done.
I also shouldn't have to tell three different people we're there for a broken fourth premolar. They should already know that, from the information given them when I made the appointment. Their books should have indicated all week that they needed to set aside time for us, rather than bumping us because of someone else's needs. Or the receptionist should have made sure- when I made the appointment- and explained that the appointment was just for the office visit and made it clear they wouldn't be doing both on the same day.
I shouldn't keep upsetting myself about it. I think part of it is I just want something to control since there are so many things I CAN'T control right now. I mean, I was happy when just paying for a $55 office visit (plus pain meds for in the meantime, which I am probably not going to give her unless she needs them) because it meant that I could pay a bill and also buy groceries, rather than worrying about both of those things and further worrying DH about them. I think I'd even been praying for a way for it to all work out (including needing gas for the car in order to get there).
On one hand, my emergency vet tech friend admits she was surprised when it seemed I was going to be able to get it all done in the same day, because surgeries typically take precedence over office visits. I understand "first come, first served", but... as I said. I called and set this up on Monday.
On the other hand, the rescue president (a former vet tech of 20-something years) says she was surprised to read in my FB post that we'd gotten "bumped" and that she's left vet clinics for such antics.
I've seriously considered that, myself, in the past few hours, actually.
Like I said, I did my part, I made sure I had all of my bases covered. Somebody should have told me otherwise. I could have afforded a measly office visit any time this week (the first available was Tuesday at 3pm, I asked the first time I called), and maybe doing so would have meant we actually got this done TODAY, instead of almost two weeks after the fact.
Stupid holiday.
I get it. A broken tooth isn't an "emergency'. At least not right away. But what if she gets an infection and dies within the next week?
I asked my vet tech friend about it, and she did some calling around (without my knowing) and then reported back that everyone else she knows is booked for several weeks, so keeping the Thursday appointment is still best.
I just want this done. And off my mind.
2 comments:
I'm sorry but that is just bullshit. You made an appointment for the procedure, not an appointment to be told you can't have the procedure today. I would have made a HUGE stink. I don't care if everyone else was trying to fit their surgeries in, you booked this on MONDAY!! And it may not be an emergency to them but it is to you and you're right. If it gets infected she could be in serious trouble. I would say go to another vet but you'll probably have to start all over form the beginning so unfortunately keeping the Thursday appointment is probably the best thing. But I would call on Tuesday, explain your concerns, how you felt you were treated unfairly when you booked an appointment for the surgery and see if you can maybe get it bumped up sooner.
I messaged them via Facebook yesterday. No reply yet. I emailed them this morning about our concerns and how we feel we were treated. And I'll definitely try to talk to them again on Tuesday.
Post a Comment