Thursday, April 08, 2010

Hurt Feelings

Yesterday, when the dogs and I were out walking in our old neighborhood, we finally encountered an old neighbor whom we had yet to reacquaint ourselves with. She was overjoyed to see us both, made a huge fuss over Leo and how handsome he had grown up to be... While she was making a fuss over him, Kansas let out this uncharacteristic, excited whine for her attention.

She's never done that before.

Never has she been so excited to see someone, anyone, regardless of length of time, that she whines with joy.

Not even when she is reunited with me after I've been away for a few hours, a day, a weekend...

I can't help but wonder if, if that's how excited she can be to see someone, she wouldn't be better off with someone other than myself. If maybe I'm not truly "her" person.

Why else would she behave in such a manner? I mean, she was truly excited to see this person, and wanted her share of the attention.

Perhaps she just knows I expect her to behave a certain way and that I don't tolerate such outbursts?

2 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Maybe it was more jealous over the attention Leo was getting? I think you and Kansas are the perfect pair. She is definitely YOUR pup. :)

Jen said...

I really don't know. I know she loves Georgine and usually got more than her share of attention from her, but in this case it was different.