Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Doing Well

Other than stumbling around, uncoordinated due to the sedative, Kansas' surgery went very well, and she appeared much-improved and happier the next morning.

They didn't even shave her eye or her foreleg!

She's in a cone til the 20th- a full two weeks, and she has two sets of eye drops to be administered, one drop each, twice daily. One is an antibiotic, the other is just a saline solution, but it's supposed to speed the healing process. No pain meds. I still have a few left from the previous surgery, not that she needs them.

The eye looks really good. So much better, already. There's no more redness or irritation, and I can tell she's just more comfortable. She's like a whole new dog.

I was worried, at first, when I dropped her off. Apparently her good nature at the previous two appointments was intended to mislead me, because she refused to go back with the assistant when I took her in for surgery. She balked at the muzzle, and then planted her feet and would not be led. I had to walk beside her and encourage her, and then once we got into the operating theatre, I had to hold her while they administered the sedative and drew blood. I was actually afraid she'd try to escape, her behavior was that bad, and the realization that there were only three doors between her and the outside world (which consisted of a major interstate, with just a fence between it and the feeder road that the clinic was on), I got really uncomfortable. The door between the main office and the hall that leads to the exam rooms and surgery theatre was usually open, and so, really, that meant only the surgery door and the glass entrance doors were keeping her in place.

She did fine, though.  The operation was scheduled for 11:30 and they were calling me by noon to say everything had gone well.

Now we're just waiting for the day the cone can come off.

No comments: