Friday, April 25, 2014

Doing Well, and Other Things

Kansas' eye seems to be completely healed, and the fur has grown in nicely. The fur on her leg, however, is still shorter than that of the other leg and seems to be taking longer to grow in this time around.

She's taking it all in stride.

I wish I were happier with the glucosamine/chondroitin product I have her on, though. I really love this product, but it's not working for us. I like that it has anti-inflammatory ingredients like tart cherries, and I like the price. However, the recommended dosage for her size does not contain nearly as much glucosamine, chondroitin and Omega 3s and 6s as what I was previously giving her. Plus, if I have to give her 1 and 1/2 tablets per day in order for her to have the recommended dosage, and that's STILL not enough to keep her from hobbling by mid-day, then it's really not cost-effective.

I started testing out the product when she had her tooth extracted, since prior to that she was often spitting out her other pills. I thought maybe buying her a canine-specific chewable would be easier on her.

Now that she's healed, I don't think it matters, and when I run out of the HipFlex, I'm going back to our human pharmacy triple-strength fish oil and glucosamine tablets. I've already had to put Leo back on the fish oil, anyway. And since the triple-strength is what the vet recommended initially, why would I have switched at all? Unfortunately, I discovered and decided all of this AFTER purchasing a new bottle of HipFlex. However, at least I accidentally ordered the 40ct bottle, instead of the 90ct. I was dismayed at that, at first, but now it's a boon. Except that I then went and cut all of the 40ct tablets in half, in order to combine them with the whole tablets in the other bottle for the recommended 1 and 1/2 tablet dosage. And then I started giving her 2 tablets a day, instead, when I realized she still wasn't getting enough of what she needed.

We went to Dr. Morales' open house/grand opening a few weeks ago, and received several samples of another glucosamine/chondroitin/Omegas/collagen product that I haven't tried yet. It looks like it would be cost-effective, however, the dosages in the recommended size are still not up to par with what she was getting previously. I haven't tried the samples yet, I have about a week's worth (the dosage for her size is, ironically, HALF of one treat/chew). I'm waiting until we use up the HipFlex.

So, there's that.

Her teeth are staying clean, anyway.

In other news, we're experimenting with re-introducing rawhide chews, since nothing else has been working on Leo's horrible teeth.

Everyone got new plush sheep and bunnies for Easter, mostly because I was home alone, away from family and sick over Easter weekend and missing the festivities and feeling bummed. I ordered some stuff online, on sale, and the Easter bunny came a week late. But they're having fun. I'll update with pics later.

No comments: