Friday, July 06, 2012

Your First Overnight Camping Trip



You and I have been a lot of places, old lady. I forget how many experiences you've had, compared to your siblings. You  may have begun your life ignored, mistreated and undersocialized, but you now have more skills and adaptability than the others. Last weekend was your first overnight camping, trip, though not your first time at that park (or any park). I always figured, if one of the three of my dogs would bite somebody, it would be you, based on your history, your demeanor and your obvious protectiveness of me.

You've proven me wrong.

You are still very protective, and quick to alert to strangers (and other dogs) approaching "our" area.

It's been years since you and I shared a bed, though we used to do so nightly. You always slept with your back pressed against mine, facing out, in the direction opposite the way I faced, guarding me as I slept. There have been times when we've visited other places, when you haven't had the crate that has been your bed of many years, that you've had to sleep on the floor beside my bed. You've always been restless during these times, jumping up on the bed to sleep for a while, jumping off. Patrolling the room. Waking up. Turning around.

In the tent, you settled right down into a corner on the floor, against my feet. I thought it was because there was a nice, drafty breeze there. Later you awoke, and curled up next to my side. Once you discovered the luxury of sleeping on an air mattress, you abandoned the blanket-over-nylon-covered ground and slept by my side all night, both nights, without waking. It was lovely.

It was the closest to you I've felt in a long time. You really enjoyed yourself. You were relaxed. You weren't policing the little one, or defending me against pesky, annoying cats. You listened, rather than being stubborn. You were happy. It was like we used to be, when it was just us, before the family grew and grew.

I'm glad you're still you.

No comments: