Saturday, March 04, 2006

What is in a name, anyway?

I love how my unusual name throws everyone for a loop. You have no idea how many people either ask my people-mom to repeat it for them, or misunderstand it as "Candice". I'm sure most of them think I've been named after some college football team...the best was when we lived in Indy (that's a tale for another day) and one of the neighbors got my name confused. He was a nice man, so my people-mom never bothered to correct him. Every time we'd take a walk he'd say:

"Well! How's ol' MON-tana today? Good ol' Mon-tana. Yeah, that Mon-tana's a good dog..." The confused expressions on other faces was priceless. "That dog, there, that dog's name is MON-tana..." and they'd look at my people-mom in consternation. She'd smile and nod when they would ask "isn't her name "Kansas"?...I thought it was Kansas..."

My grandma calls me "Kansie". People-mom tolerates it but would rather she not.

No comments: